Tomorrow I leave for five weeks to travel to Spain, Greece and Italy. My first solo trip. My first time being gone so long. My first time being alone so long. And, truthfully, my first time being not 100% confident, fear and fancy free.
Just last night, I scrambled to my partner's side in bed, sobbing because for the first time in my life, I was actually AFRAID to do something by myself. And. This. Terrified. Me.
In the past, I have been overjoyed to take on new solo adventures and leaned into those experiences and moments with open arms. Welllll... this fear feeling was a whole new ballgame for me but one in which I am definitely learning to lean in to, moment by moment, with open arms.
New mantra, "I welcome the discomfort of winging it and put my positive intention towards trying to actively learn whatever life lessons I'm meant to learn with this experience."
That being said, over the next five weeks, I have made it my new intention to actively infuse aspects of storytelling, spirituality, wellness and humanity (including those oh so uncomfortable feelings of fear, discomfort and change) in to this new adventure. And write about my experiences along the way.
To do so and to hold me accountable, I'm using this as an outlet to share my story and insights over the next month or so. Part healthy traveling, part spiritual journey, part life experience with a heck of a lot of learning, growing and fun wrapped in to one.
To kick off my inaugural blog post, I wanted to share some healthy packing and traveling tips for long journeys.
I’ve listed my top 10 healthy traveling and packing tips below with some fun pics to go along!
1. My essential oils for the plane and after. My new favorite for relaxation is Rose Geranium and another favorite for naturally waking me up is my Grapefruit essential oil. Citrus is a great stimulant when you don’t want to turn to caffeine. I like to take a sniff right from the bottle, or dilute and put a little on my wrists or rub on my temples.
2. My headphones to block out noise while meditating before the flight takes off and right before it lands.
3. Rx bars for dayssss! These bars pack a mean protein punch. Those are my go to protein bar for snacks or a quick breakfast. They are minimally processed and only 4 ingredients. Gotta love these!
4. Larabars are another favorite go to snack of mine. They are minimally processed, most have under 5 ingredients (These have only two, cashews and dates!), plus they’re delicious. What’s not to love?!
5. I love Justin's almond butter singles packets. They are great by themselves in a pinch or paired with an apple or banana for a quick and easy healthy snack.
6. Amazing Grass Green Superfood Antioxidant single packets- for days when you know you just aren't able to get in all your greens. As a health coach, there is a definite part of me checking in with my inner self and making sure I will be able to get my 7-8 servings of veggies a day. Having these while traveling allows me to be present in the moment and truly savor the different lifestyles and cultures while still knowing I’m able to get in all my greens and nutrients for the day.
7. Four Sigmatic Mushroom Coffee with Lion’s Mane and Chaga. Okay. So maybe I don't neeeed this. Especially going to countries where coffee is KING. But how could I not?! I love it. It's delicious, a natural brain booster and it only contains a baby amount of caffeine which I dig.
8. Vital Proteins single collagen packets- need I say more?
9. My resistance bands for in the hostel/hotel workouts when I don’t have access to a gym. I scooped out classes I want to take and nothing beats running outside but sometimes, a good ole fashioned body weight workout is all you need to start the day off right!
10. My water bottle.
So there you have it. My top ten go to healthy traveling and packing tips. I hope this inspires or gives you some new creative ideas about staying healthy while being on the road.
A saying I will never tire of hearing “Failing to plan = planning to fail.” And I feel like I have healthy planned my butt off for this adventure. Now, let’s just see what happens!
Until next time,